CANUNGRA WAR MEMORIAL

War Memorial
War Memorial

DURING World War One, the people of Canungra raised money to build a suitable War Memorial to honour those who enlisted from the Shire, including Canungra, Tamborine Mountain, Tamborine, Biddaddaba and Beechmont.

The trustees of the fund were unable to agree on a site, or what form the memorial should take. So, they invested the money.

In 1938, Mrs Catherine Smith gave the land in the centre of town for D J Smith Memorial Park. 

Cafe Metz

At last they had a site for the memorial.

The tower was built by Petrie & Sons, an impressive obelisk of rough cut granite with a 200 candle power electric light on top. 

The Canungra War Memorial Committee were advised that the Tamborine Shire Council was prepared to pay the cost of maintaining the light on the monument. 

The Canungra War Memorial was unveiled by Mr A G Muller MLA on Anzac Day 1938.

Two sides record the 136 names of those who went to WW1 from this area (including men who were working in the sawmill). The names include 18 who died in action.

After World War Two the third side was used to record those who had served in the fighting forces from 1939 to 1945. 

There were 170 names added on this side, including the 20 who paid the supreme sacrifice.

These names of those who served in World War Two were added on ANZAC Day 1954.

These names represent many families who are still in the district, including: Binstead, Cameron, Caswell, Curtis, Day, Duncan, Finch, Geissman, Gittins, Hartley, McVey, Munster, O’Reilly, Sharp, Slingsby, Smith, Watterson, Wilson amongst many others.