Canungra’s History- Canungra Railway Station

Canungra Railway Station Amended
Canungra Railway Station Amended

Canungra Railway Station was situated where the Canungra State Primary School grounds are today.

The railway line crossed Christie Street (about where the Canungra Bowls Club is) and followed round the creek bank north to Brisbane.

The station included various sheds, a station office with a platform for travellers and two houses for the station staff, beside the creek.

Canungra Law

The crew would reverse the train engine up to the water tank and refill the engine’s tank for the homeward journey. 

This was a square tank on very high stumps (behind where the artist’s hut now sits). 

When ready to go, the engine would travel along a second line to connect with the line to Brisbane. They would also load the logs from the mill and haul them north to Brisbane.

By the time the mill closed in 1938, most of the Canungra and (upper) Coomera river areas had turned to farming, with only a few trains operating a week, being sufficient for the logging.

In 1942, Australian and American troops travelled on the train from Brisbane for the Army Training Camp at Canungra to be trained in jungle warfare.

By 1955, motor transport had taken over the area and the last train left Canungra.

In 1962, The Canungra school was moved from Finch Road to its current position, on the old railway station site.