Canungra’s History

Boyland Railway Station site
Boyland Railway Station site

Boyland Railway Station

A short distance along the Biddaddaba Road from its junction with the Mundoolun Connection Road, on the left-hand side, there is a small plaque marking the site of the Boyland Railway Station, one of several on the Logan Village to Canungra Railway Line.

In 1886 engineer George Phillips first surveyed the route; however, it took a further 25 years of lobbying of the State Government before work commenced.

Cafe Metz

This lobbying was led by the Tamborine Shire Council and the proprietors of Lahey’s sawmill who offered to extend their timber hauling railway or guarantee the working expenses of the line if the government built it.

The lobbying culminated with Premier William Kidston and Cabinet Ministers visiting Canungra in May 1910 with the State Government subsequently approving the building of the line on the 5 December 1911.

Work commenced in September 1913 and the line opened for traffic on 2 July 1915.

The station was built on land partly resumed from Harry Hinchcliffe’s property and comprised the station building and cream shed on the main line with a goods shed and stockyards along a siding.

With four services a week, farmers were able to send cream to the Kingston butter factory and livestock to Beenleigh and Brisbane markets, as well as corn, potatoes, pumpkins and chaff, whilst Lahey’s sent timber to their sawmill in Corinda, Brisbane.

On special occasions a passenger service was laid on.

With better roads servicing the area the railway closed 1 July 1955 with the railway lines removed and the buildings sold.

Boyland station was named after George Boyland who, at the time of his death on 8 October 1908, was the Chairman of the Tamborine Shire Council. 

The Boyland family owned substantial property near the railway station site.

Sources: 

The History of Biddaddaba Creek, Boyland Canungra Line Queensland.  Chapter 8 Canungra Railway Line.  

Published by Biddaddaba Heritage Group Inc © 1999